Code Enforcement - Trash and Debris
Solid waste unlawful acts (13.02.006)
- It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, other than the city or the city’s contract holder, to haul, collect or otherwise transport garbage, weeds, brush or refuse of any kind within the city except as specifically provided herein. In cases of oversize trees, large quantities of brush and large dead animals, citizens shall arrange for the collection and disposal of the same with the contract holder.
- It shall be unlawful for any resident of the city or person dwelling therein, or proprietor or manager of commercial establishments, to refuse to avail themselves of the garbage and refuse collection provided by the city itself or through its contractor and to refuse to pay the charges for said service established by the city council.
- It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to place, deposit or throw or permit to be placed, deposited or thrown any garbage, brush, loose waste or refuse of any kind on public or private property (or permit the same to remain thereon) unless the same has been placed for collection in accordance with the provisions of this article.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to dump any trash or refuse of any type on any vacant property or along any street or road within the city limits.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to dump any trash or refuse of any kind in any public street, alley or way of the city.
Dumping generally; use of containers
- It shall be unlawful for any person to dump, place, or otherwise dispose of trash on public property or on private property not belonging to such person, except in such places as may be specifically provided by the city for dumping trash and refuse.
- It shall be the duty of every owner and possessor of property in the city limits to keep such property in a sanitary condition, and to place all trash and refuse in suitable containers.
- Includes both singular and plural, and shall mean and embrace any individual, corporation, association, partnership, or society, and their agents, servants, and employees.
- A container, either heavy duty plastic or aluminum, with a lid, or a heavy duty plastic trash bag, securely tied. Unsuitable containers will be tagged for replacement and service will be discontinued until replaced. Containers are to be placed for pickup only on the day designated for service and should not remain on the street on a daily basis. Fifty-five-gallon barrels are not allowed and will not be emptied.
- Includes all kinds of rejected or worthless matter, including rubbish, trash, and other kinds of refuse.
- The utility department staff will pursue criminal charges for theft of service and/or meter tampering as defined by state statute, if the need arises.
- Any person who shall violate any provision of section 13.02.006 above and deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be subject to a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) nor more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) for each occurrence or violation. Each such occurrence or violation of section 13.02.006 shall be deemed a separate offense.