Traffic and Criminal Citations

Receiving a citation can be stressful.  The Tye Municipal Court understands this and wants to make it as stress free as possible as you go through the legal proceedings.  Please read over this section carefully as it contains important information concerning your rights.  It also covers payment options should a fine be assessed for the violation(s) that were committed.  Should you still have questions after reading this section, we are here for you Monday through Friday, from 8am until 5pm, excluding holidays.  Neither the clerk, judge nor prosecutor can give you legal advice.  Should you have questions about your best course of action, what plea you should enter, your rights or the consequence of a conviction, please contact an attorney.

Enter Your Plea
Texas law requires you to make an appearance in your case.  Your appearance date is noted on your citation, bond, summons or release papers.  Appearances may be made in one of three ways; in person, by mail or through your attorney.  The Municipal Court now allows you to submit your plea online.  Please note that juveniles have a separate set of rules for their appearance.  When you make your appearance by mail, your plea must be postmarked by your scheduled appearance date.

Your first appearance is to determine your plea.  There are three pleas to choose from:
  1. Not Guilty - A plea of not guilty means that you deny guilt and require the State to prove the charge(s).  A plea of not guilty does not waive any of your rights.  A plea of not guilty does not prevent a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no-contest) at a later time.
  2. Guilty - By a plea of guilty, you admit that you committed the criminal offense charged.
  3. Nolo Contendere (no contest) - A plea of nolo contendere means that you do not contest the State's charge against you.  The difference between guilty and nolo contendere is that the no contest plea may not be used against you in a civil suit for damages, such as a traffic accident, at a later time.  A guilty plea can be used as evidence of your responsibility or fault.

Guilty - Nolo Contendere (no contest) Plea
​​If you entered guilty or nolo contendere (no contest), you have waived your right to a jury trial.  You may request the amount of fine and appeal bond in writing and mail or deliver it to the court before your appearance date.  You may also present extenuating circumstances for the Judge to consider when determining the proper punishment.  However, the Judge is not required to reduce your fine.  You then have up to 30 days from the time you received a notice from the court to pay the fine or file an appeal bond with the municipal court.  Please be aware that certain criteria must be met before you are able to pay online.  Click "Pay Online" below to see if you meet that criteria and to make a payment.


Not Guilty Plea
​If you plea not guilty, the court will schedule a jury trial.  You may waive a jury trial and have a trial before the Judge, commonly called a "bench trial".  During the trial, the State must prove guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" of the offense with which you are charged.  Every defendant has the right to remain silent and refuse to testify (without consequences).  You have the right to retain an attorney and have them try your case or answer your questions.  Since offenses in this court are punishable only by fine and not incarceration, you do not have the right to appointed counsel.

Special Notices
For additional information, such as fines, costs and fees, click here.  For information on the Judge's ability to dismiss, trial procedures, driving safety course, deferred disposition or new trials and appeals, click here.

Section 37.003 of the Government Code requires courts to establish and maintain:
a list of all attorneys who are qualified to serve as an attorney ad litem and are registered with the court;
a list of all attorneys and other persons who are qualified to serve as a guardian ad litem and are registered with the court;
a list of all persons who are registered with the court to serve as a mediator; and
a list of all attorneys and private professional guardians who are qualified to serve as a guardian as defined by Section 1002.012, Estates Code, and are registered with the court.

To view these lists, click here.

If you are convicted of an offense and are unable to pay the fine and court costs, you may have the court assess your ability to pay and the court may provide alternatives to full payment in satisfying the judgement.
Pay Online

City of Tye, Texas

Where it all comes together